Sabaroos

Sabaroos
Labor Day 2016

Thursday, July 22, 2010

God is Good... ALL the Time

I have been SO touched by God's work via Montrose Church VBS... not only watching our kids, but in myself. VBS planted huge seeds in my faith from 8 years & up. And everytime I reflect back on my journey... I am touched by how 1 week immersed in faith can make a lifetime of difference!

I love this model that 1 powerful week immersed in scripture, song & silliness can plant seeds of significance. For being surrounded by such an amazing group of people who just love Jesus and love kids is a blessing.

At Montrose Church, although there is preparation, the goal is always relational: to show up, spend quality time with the multi generational helpers, fill your tummy (what a blessing to the folks who provide meals for the helpers!!) and "share this week in community" following His lead.

There were so many leaders, jr. high helpers, teachers, crafters, gamers, photographers, playground monitors, I was amazed at the ownership in each person to make our VBS the BEST, not go through the motions, but love like God loves.

So I found myself just "hanging out", meeting folks, looking for opportunities, trusting Him to use me/show me. It's powerful to know that's what abiding in His presence is all about; "being" with us and if we can ask/listen to someone tell their story, offer encouragement or share a laugh, or offer some sense of belonging, He is glorified. It ain't about US!

Here I was so excited to serve at VBS and I find myself "served" beyond measure:

*The hug I received from a precious boy I'd just met on his first day at VBS, despite his "special needs" His joy overflowed.

*It was so neat to see kids eyes sparkle or their smile brighten from someone remembering their name and including them into their "group" and talk about seeing their "friends".

*I met some amazing parents who cherish their kids and were so excited to have their precious wee ones learn more about Jesus.

*Helping 3 year olds do anything they needed help with-- it's all new and amazing-- childlike wonder is precious and powerful when we are present to it.

*Seeing jr. high kids and grown ups enjoy and encourage each child for their uniqueness; creating a sense of belonging.

*Letting go of what wasn't important: if a kid didn't want to wear a t-shirt or sit still, it didn't matter as much as them being present and loved as they were.

*Singing profoundly simple songs of great meaning and joy!

*I learned all about nutes from a 6 year old boy visiting from out of town... who didn't know anyone and by mid-week he was smiling and showing me "thumbs up" as if he was family.

*As my own precious Cade, almost 4, proudly recite his Phillipians 4:13 in sign language from VBS week, "I can do everything thru Him that strengthens me." I'm so touched. I pray that this truth is bound in his heart forever and tears well up in my eyes as this powerful truth penetrates deeper in my own heart.

*And kids from 2 to 92 singing "My God is Good... All the Time and proclaiming via song...My God is So Strong, So Big & So Mighty!!"

AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment